BBAW celebrates the community of book bloggers — its theme this year is A Treasure Chest of Infinite Books and Infinite Blogs, because we find so many interesting new books to read through book blogs. That has certainly been true for me. This virtual event includes daily blogging topics, awards for best blogs, blogger interviews, and of course a long list of book blogs for you to check out. The award winners are posted at the BBAW 2010 Awards Blog.
I’m three months in as a blogger, and I have to say the community of book bloggers out there is pretty amazing. So for the people out there who are reading because you’re a friend or family member (and I do appreciate it!!), please take a minute to check out another book blog.
Which leads to today’s topic, which is to share a great new blog you’ve discovered, or if you’re a new blogger, one of the first blogs you discovered.
One of the first blogs I started following is What Red Read. Alley was one of the first bloggers I “met” on the Book Blogs site and in addition to seeming like a really nice person, she posted a lot of helpful comments. But that’s not why I like her blog, this is:
- She really writes about books. So many blogs are about contests, giveaways and memes, and you have to work to find posts that are actual book reviews.
- She spends a lot of time on a book if it merits it, posting multiple times about the same book as she’s reading it.
- She uses quotes as her post titles, which is just cool.
- She reads a wide variety of books, and we share enough book-taste that most of the time either I love the book she’s reviewing, or I’m interested in reading it.
- The look of the blog is eyecatching but simple – some blogs have so many badges and gadgets I can barely scroll through them. I love the book photo because there are books on it I immediately recognized – and if Jasper Fforde and Jane Austen are sitting together on your shelf, we must be at least somewhat book-compatible.
- I just like her writing style, which is the most important thing about a blog.
So, some blog-love for What Red Read. And now I need to get back to working on the reviews that are piling up behind me. I’m also part-way through Stephen King’s Under the Dome, and let me tell you I am not doing a happy dance – this book is DARK. I’ve thought about putting it down but just can’t seem to do it. Next book will definitely be something lighter.