Weekly Geeks is a site that has a weekly just-for-fun book theme or question. This week I thought I’d give it a try: list your favorite authors, one for each letter of the alphabet.
And right off the bat I can see I’m in trouble:
A: Jane Austen, Margaret Atwood, or Isabel Allende? Kate Atkinson, Ilona Andrews?
B: L. Frank Baum or Ray Bradbury? What about Patricia Briggs, TC Boyle, and AS Byatt?
Of course you don’t have to select only one, or cover each letter. But I’ve tried to narrow things down and make the tough picks where I can:
- A: Jane Austen, Margaret Atwood, Isabel Allende
- B: L. Frank Baum and Ray Bradbury
- C: Susanna Clarke
- D: Charles Dickens and Arthur Conan Doyle and Roald Dahl
- E: Jennifer Egan
- F: Jasper Fforde
- G: Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel)
- H: Thomas Hardy and Nick Hornby
- I: Henrik Ibsen and Kazuo Ishiguro
- J: Norton Juster
- K: Barbara Kingsolver
- L: Madeleine L’Engle
- M: Armistead Maupin and David Mitchell
- N: Garth Nix and Naomi Novik
- O: Maggie O’Farrell
- P: Sylvia Plath and Marge Piercy
- R: JK Rowling
- S: Helen Simonson
- T: JRR Tolkien
- V: Sarah Vowell
- W: Scott Westerfeld and E.B. White
- no X, Y, or Z
I had more trouble than I thought with S. One book doesn’t make a favorite author, but Helen Simonson did write one of my favorite books from last year. I also liked Alexander McCall Smith’s Scotland series but wasn’t sure he should make the cut.
I’m sure I missed a bunch, although the Kindle does make it a lot easier to search the authors I read. Hope you enjoy and take a stab at it yourself.
Hope it’s a happy Easter weekend, a happy rest-of-Passover, or whatever you’re celebrating. Personally, I’d celebrate a warm day without rain, but not sure I’m going to get that.