Here’s my book list for Roof Beam Reader’s 2013 TBR Pile Challenge:
The rules: Identify 12 books and two alternates that have been on your To Be Read List for over a year. This means none of the books can be published in 2012. You don’t get to change this list once you’ve posted it. Each book must be read and reviewed, and can’t be a re-read. Lists must be posted by December 31 (I’m cutting it close). If you complete the challenge you get entered in a drawing for a $50 gift card.
This year, I read 10 of the 14 books I proposed. Only 6 people actually completed the challenge, so I’m in good company. Had I pushed harder I could have gotten to 12, but I got lazy in December (and sick, and busy with holiday stuff). Next year I won’t be leaving challenging reads like George Eliot or David Mitchell until December.
As I did this year, I’ll post my progress on this challenge on my 2013 Challenges page.
- Mansfield Park – Jane Austen
- The Tortilla Curtain – TC Boyle
- Caleb’s Crossing — Geraldine Brooks
- Daniel Deronda – George Eliot
- Gillespie and I – Jane Harris
- The Remains of the Day – Kazuo Ishiguro
- On the Road – Jack Kerouac
- The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle – Haruki Murakami
- A Monster Calls – Patrick Ness
- Please Look After Mom — Kyung-sook Shin
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn – Betty Smith
- The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie – Muriel Spark
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain (alternate)
- Cat’s Cradle – Kurt Vonnegut (alternate)