Hooray for snow days! They come so rarely here in Virginia, and the timing could not have been better! My last final is due today, and then I finally get to do what I want, which is reading and blogging. Can you tell I’ve missed it? I’ve tried to maintain some presence here in the last month, but staying away has actually been really hard. I realized if I could do this all day, every day, I would! Now I’m full of ideas for all the posts I couldn’t write, and I have tons of reviews to catch up on.
So, Happy December, whether it’s a snow day or not! Winter is such a good time to curl up with a book, so I’m hoping for lots of quality reading time in the next few months.
It’s also Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and today’s topic is Books on My Winter To-Be-Read List. Easy! I have a Wish List a mile long.
Here are just 5 of the books on my Wish List:
- MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood (yes, I’ve been meaning to get to this for a while)
- The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri (this one was on my fall TBR list too)
- Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
- The Humans by Matt Haig (hearing only wonderful things about this book)
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (disappointed in her last one, so nervous about this one)
And here’s what I currently have on my Kindle:
- May We Be Forgiven by A.M. Homes (winner of the 2013 Women’s Prize for Fiction)
- Death in the Stocks by Georgette Heyer (recommended by You Book Me All Night Long)
- Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
- Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver (been on my Kindle for a while now)
- The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan (a little light reading about the Dust Bowl)
And that doesn’t even get at the two shelves of paper books I mean to read. For the record, here’s what I read from my fall TBR list:
- Fangirl — Rainbow Rowell
- The Song of the Quarkbeast — Jasper Fforde
- The Panopticon – Jenni Fagan
- The Beekeeper’s Apprentice – Laurie King
- The World’s Strongest Librarian – Josh Hanagarne
- Every Day – David Levithan
Okay, so now I need to get back to writing reviews. Of the books on my list, what do you recommend? What are you looking forward to reading this winter?
Hope you like Death in the Stocks! It’s a quick, light read, so if worse comes to worst, at least you won’t spend too much time on it! 🙂
Also, I’m having a snow day as well! They are few and far between, but they are glorious when they do occur!
We have a snow day here too! We made pancakes and now we are enjoying reading in our pajamas.
Congrats on finishing your finals. I hope you enjoy all of your winter books!
I don’t recognize many of the titles, but Steelheart is one of my favorite books from this year. It’s just amazing, every single part of it.
And it’s not a snow day here in Cali, but it’s one of the coldest weeks that I can remember. We’re about 55 in the day, dropping down to 35 ish at night. I’m FREEZING and I don’t own a heavy coat!
It’s been a snow day for us as well. I got to finish a book I’ve been reading for a while, hooray. I have your numbers 1, 2, 3, and 5 on my TBR list as well. They all sound promising. I’m looking forward to your Fforde review.
Excellent list! I SO need to get around to Flight Behavior already.
Yay MaddAddam! I’m reading it now, and I love it, but I’m trying hard to savor it!
The Goldfinch and The Lowland are also on my TBR, and Burial Rites is a book I’d love to get to some day. Haven’t heard about The Humans, now I’ll have to investigate 🙂
Ooh, Steelheart is amazing. Thoughtful and funny in places.
I plan to get to MaddAdam, too. I have book 2 in my possession, and then onward from there.
I enjoyed The Lowland and I’m currently reading Burial Rites and really enjoying that too. I’m hoping to get to The Goldfinch and The Orphan Master’s Son soon. Oh, and also Tale for the Time Being. Hope you get some good recommendations!