I discovered a lot of fantastic authors this year, so here’s my list.
- Hannah Kent – Burial Rites
- Carol Rifka Brunt – Tell the Wolves I’m Home
- Helene Wecker – The Golem and the Jinni
- Octavia Butler — Kindred
- Pearl S. Buck – The Good Earth
- Mary Doria Russell – The Sparrow
- Kristiana Kahaukauwila – This is Paradise
- Will McIntosh – Love Minus Eighty
- Graeme Simsion – The Rosie Project
- Jo Walton – Among Others
I read a lot of review requests this year as well, and I wanted to highlight a few new-to-me authors that I highly enjoyed and recommend: Rebecca Burns’ Catching the Barramundi, Kim Vandervort’s Outcast, Glen Craney’s The Spider and the Stone, and Laline Paull’s The Bees. One of the strangest books I read this year was Monica Byrne’s The Girl in the Road, but I still find myself thinking about it.
This was a tough list to make! I tried to pick authors I know I’ll read more of. I definitely want to read more Octavia Butler and I hear the sequel to The Sparrow is good. Burial Rites, Tell the Wolves I’m Home, The Golem and the Jinni, The Bees, The Girl in the Road, and The Rosie Project are all first novels so I’m looking forward to what these authors do next.
Did you have any favorite new authors this year? Do you tend to read books by authors you already know? What else can you recommend by the authors I’ve listed?