This summer, I have a lot of travel planned, which means long flights and a lot of reading time. I want to make the most of my reading but still keep it fun.
746 Books is hosting a challenge called 20 Books of Summer. I’m pretty sure I can read 20 books over three months (June to September), and I’ve already gotten started on a few. There are 23 books below. Some are new releases, some are classics. Some are already on my Kindle, and some are on my wait list at the library. Three are Bailey’s Prize nominees (which will bring me to 8 from the longlist). Some are from favorite series (the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik) and some are new-to-me authors (Ann Leckie, Elizabeth Bonesteel, Kelly Link).
I’m particularly excited to read the new books by Jenni Fagan, Helen Phillips, and Monica Byrne. I loved The Panopticon, The Beautiful Bureaucrat, and The Girl in the Road, and I can’t wait to see what they write next.
Advanced review copies (I’ve committed to reading these):
- League of Dragons by Naomi Novik
- The Big Sheep by Robert Kroese
- The Sunlight Pilgrims by Jenni Fagan
- The Glorious Heresies by Lisa McInerney
Books on my Kindle:
- My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
- Eventide by Kent Haruf
- Whom the Gods Love by Kate Ross
- The Cold Between by Elizabeth Bonesteel
- Calamity by Brandon Sanderson
- Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
- The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
Books on hold at the library:
- LaRose by Louise Erdrich
- Some Possible Solutions by Helen Phillips
- Get in Trouble by Kelly Link
- A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding by Jackie Copleton
- Traumphysik by Monica Byrne (June 29)
- This Must be the Place by Maggie O’Farrell (July 19)
- Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal (August 16)
Challenge books (at least two):
- Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
- Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain
- Pavilion of Women by Pearl S. Buck
That’s my summer reading list! What’s on this list that you recommend? And what’s on your summer reading list?