Today’s Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is ten facts about me. I so rarely get to write about myself on this blog. So, here are a few semi-interesting, semi-chronological things about me.
- I’m part Polish, Romanian, and Czech. My father was born in Czechoslovakia but had to leave as a young child during the Holocaust. He grew up in Israel.
- I’m one of four sisters, no brothers. My sisters all have daughters, no sons.
- Growing up, I loved dinosaurs, fantasy novels and Dr. Who. I felt like a misfit because I didn’t like the things girls were supposed to like.
- When I was 14 I was hit by a car walking home from my high school. I was out of school for nearly two months. I don’t remember being hit but I still get nervous crossing streets.
- The best job I ever had was working for a used bookstore in Tucson, Arizona called The Book Stop. Not only did I learn a lot about books, I could take anything home and read it for free (helpful for a poor lit major!)
- Twenty years ago I got a law degree but I never practiced. The movie Legally Blonde is written about my law class.
- I was 26 the first time I traveled to another country. I backpacked around Scotland for two weeks by myself. It was an amazing experience.
- I have a tattoo on my back shoulder that’s a Charles Rennie Mackintosh rose. My sister and I got tattooed together.
- I rarely get hints or sarcasm, and I take things really literally. I also can’t really whisper.
- I never wanted children, and I’m happily childfree.
- I got married the year I turned 30, which I think is the perfect age to get married.
- When I’m stressed, other than a good walk, the children’s section of the library is my favorite place to go.
- I collect antique books by L. Frank Baum, mostly the Oz series. I grew up on those books and I love them.
So that’s me! Hope you don’t mind my blathering on about myself. I don’t do it very often.