This week’s Top Ten topic, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is the best books I’ve read so far this year. We’re at the halfway point, and it’s been an excellent reading year (which is good because last year was a little blah). I couldn’t decide between the last few books so I added one.
On my list, 5 are by authors of color and 9 are by women. These books take place in the U.S., Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland, Switzerland, China, and South Africa. What’s a little unusual for me is that most of these are 2016 or 2017 releases, except for the two that are classics.
- The Hate U Give by Angela Thomas
- Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood
- News of the World by Paulette Jiles
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
- The Wonder by Emma Donoghue
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
- A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry
- The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
- The Gustav Sonata by Rose Tremain
- The Leavers by Lisa Ko
- The Long Drop by Denise Mina
That’s my list! What are some of your favorite reads this year?