Once again I’m participating in the Literary Giveaway Blog Hop hosted by Leeswammes’ Blog. This means you can enter to win literary books of all types from the bloggers listed at the event site.
Since I mostly read e-books, I don’t have a pile of gently used favorites to give away. But I like to highlight some of my favorite reads since the last Hop and give you the option of entering to win the book that interests you most.
So for this Hop, you can enter to win one of the following:
The Count of Monte Cristo (paperback since the e-book is already free): this book has been on my TBR list for decades — or at least Alexandre Dumas has, since I’ve never quite been able to decide between Monte Cristo and Three Musketeers. Monte Cristo sounded darker and more dramatic, and it didn’t disappoint. This book has it all – adventure, love, treasure, and revenge. But what sounds simple isn’t at all. This book is a time commitment and requires some patience as you let the story unravel. But it’s all in there.
The Sisters Brothers (paperback or Kindle): It’s a little hard to explain why this book is literary but it showed up on a ton of best-of lists last year. It’s the story of two brothers heading out to Gold Rush-era Oregon and California. They’re assassins on a job to find and kill a man; only Eli Sisters is having second thoughts about a quieter life. I found the style of writing a little hard to get used to, but once I did the book really took off. Eli is a character you won’t forget any time soon.
The Earthquake Machine (Kindle only): This is author Mary Pauline Lowry’s first book and it’s amazing. Forget that it’s marketed as young adult fiction; this is a really adult read. Yes, it’s about the life of a troubled fourteen year old. But Lowry doesn’t hold back in this really honest and thoughtful portrayal of what it means to be fourteen and have your whole world fall apart. Rhonda goes on the kind of adventure I fantasized about as a teen, only I never had the nerve to do a tenth of the things she does. Be warned, this is an untraditional, no-holds-barred read that will make you uncomfortable at times but will also take you deep into the teenage mind.
Now, here are the rules to enter:
1) Tell me which book you’re interested in (be sure to note the available format). I’ll pick a winner for each of the three books. Please don’t enter for all three unless you’re really interested in reading all three.
2) Tell me about one of your favorite books this year. What book do you recommend and why? (Your entry will not be considered if you don’t provide a recommendation.)
3) International entries welcome. I always seem to send my books to far off places.
4) There’s no requirement to follow my blog but I hope you’ll consider signing up as an email or Twitter follower.
5) Entries accepted until midnight June 27.
Enjoy the Hop and please visit the other participating blogs. Good luck!